Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Very Own Easter Egg Hunt

If you've done Weight Watchers before, you'll know that you are allowed a certain amount of points each day.  Currently, I get 22, which translates to about 1,100 calories each day.  In addition to that, you have 35 "bonus points" that you can use each week.  You can split your bonus points up to add five more points to each day's allowance, or you can use all of your 35 bonus points for one big event, like a wedding, a fondue feast, or a trip to the movies so you can have a mega box of Hot Tamales and a medium buttered popcorn. 

I prefer the latter approach.  There's something about having one day a week when I can just pig out as much as I want that helps get me through the week.  However, I'll be honest that this approach usually leads to, how should I say it, "stomach issues" since your body is so used to a low fat diet and kind of freaks out at the fat and calorie overload. Sorry, TMI, but it's true.

So, needless to say I was probably looking forward to Easter Brunch at Mira Vista County Club far more than my own children Will and Piper were.  All week, they eagerly awaited the great egg hunt the club holds every year for the kids.  Despite the fact that it started pouring just about five minutes prior to the noon start time, the kids made the best of the hunt.  And Piper, for the second time in her three-year career of egg hunting (closely chaperoned and coached by mommy), once again, found the "golden egg" which earned her one of the five candy-filled Easter baskets reserved for the victorious hunters.

Will (in the hood) and his cousin Connor search for Easter eggs in the rain at Mira Vista Country Club.

Piper shows off the Easter basket she won after finding the "golden egg."  Check out those cute pink toes!

The only eggs I anticipated on Easter were eggs benedict.  I had a modest piece of two-point cheese for breakfast to tide me over until our 1:00 p.m. brunch seating.  Meaning, I still had 20 points left in my regular day's allowance, and also had 35 points to splurge with.  There's not much better than 55 points in the bank and an all-you-can eat brunch!

It was like I was on my very own Easter Egg hunt, searching for treats hidden in roll top chafing dishes and iced appetizer displays.

I had sushi, salami and cheese, and salad with ranch dressing for starters.  This was followed by eggs benedict with crab and the yummiest butternut squash raviolis topped with alfredo sauce.  I slid down jumbo shrimp with cocktail sauce, a few mimosas, roast beef with creamed horseradish sauce, and crabcakes with aioli sauce.

And don't even get me started about dessert.  There were chocolate covered marshmallows with nuts, chocolate dipped cheesecake balls on a stick, and of course my mother-in-law dressed the table with cute little chocolate eggs down the center, which I couldn't resist.  There was even caramel corn for the kids, or the kids at heart, like me.

This picture of my husband and me was taken just before our 1:00 p.m. brunch seating at the club.

I literally rolled out of there feeling, quite frankly, a little disgusted with myself.  But that feeling didn't last too long because I knew I'd be right back on track the following day. And I was.

Better yet, I had a great week of weight loss.  I lost another 2.5 pounds, bringing my total weight loss to 12.5 pounds...well on my way to losing 40 pounds by my 40th birthday on August 15th!

1 comment:

  1. Jen, you are doing so great! and after all you got to eat for brunch, it was probably EASY not to eat anymore for a few days! lol! My daughter is going back on weight watchers (she just had her baby) She said it really worked for her too.

    ReplyDelete